Friday, July 31, 2009

Doppler

Recently, my friend and fellow guide, Peter Fallon posted to his blog about going out in bad weather. Peter is a terrific writer and he vividly portrays a charter captain's concerns. Its a must read if you have the time. Peter also talks about having his wife read the Doppler radar from shore to get an update on the storm's path.

I, too, used to call home when the sky began to darken or I heard a warning over the VHF. Now, things are different. In the video below you can see clearly how my satellite-fed weather shows me exactly what we all can see if we have a computer in front of us. One nice thing about my electronics is how it also can zoom in and out easily, shows the storm's tracks, and any warnings, too.

Today was a day off. Not by choice. Tomorrow, I will be back at it.

No comments: