Friday, August 7, 2009

Interesting Day



My day began today with my GPS firing up like it's supposed to. Hooray, I turned it off just to check it and it would not turn on. After fiddlemucking around for a bit we got back on. Adam, Gayle, Evan, Ruby, and I headed to Robinsons's Wharf to get bait for our traps. Adam and I saw Colin and that is when I took the picture in the previous Voicethread. Hugh Thompson, one of the coolest dudes around, directed us to the wharf barrel and we loaded up on herring. It took Adam and I 25 minutes to haul our ten traps. Adam is really freaking good. He does the whole show except run the boat and he is fast. Pretty strong guy, too. Occasionally, instead of my having to maneuver the boat, Adam will just chuck the trap like a shot put. Anyway, I have decided that I love lobstering again and I think having Adam enthusiastically carrying a big load of the work is a big part of it.

At the end of lobstering at approximately 8:30am I checked the on-board Doppler and there was a tiny bit of precip way up in NH/VT. It was a beautiful day and the Doppler supported that.

Link
A few hours later at about 10, my mom took over to take care of our sleeping one year old. Gayle headed with me to my favorite herring spot to catch bait for my trip. We spent 90 minutes and caught 1 herring. Talk about frustration. The good news was my electronics were still working.

Dropped Gayle off and headed back out to scout out some Mackerel for my afternoon trip. I was fishing off Spruce Point when I noticed the clouds to my northwest. I checked my Doppler and I could see a line of storms either headed at us or just north of us. I began to head in to Kaler's to pick up the Calvo's, a family of 4 at 12:30. I noticed many of the other charter boats both sail and fishing headed out.

I met the Calvo's at 12:50. They were dressed for the beautiful sunny day that it was - shorts, t-shirts, flip-flops, etc. I showed them the Garmin (Still Working!) and explained to them my concerns. We agreed to go out to catch bait and stay close. We went back to Spruce Point and began to Mackerel fish. I got to know them and was having a pleasant time. But, the screen told me to head in and before we even caught a mackerel I was running full steam back into Boothbay Harbor. By the time we got to Harbor Island, you could feel the barometer drop and the wind change direction as the sky quickly blackened. We got into Kaler's, tied up, and got off the boat. The rain quickly started and lighting could be seen all around us including Spruce Point. Fishing with me is definitely not Deadliest Catch but sometimes it can be deadly enough. The Calvo's and I were giddy we got off the water when we did and I once gain want to thank my stepfather for buying me that Satellite weather receiver which worked all day.

By the way, the images above are of Boothbay but I did not take them today. Unfortunately, I was ill-prepared for documenting today's events.

No comments: