Monday, August 17, 2009

Fishing Stuff



Saturday (8/15) was a great day. You can see just a few of the fish caught in the pictures above. I went out twice.

In the morning, I went out with a repeat client and his father-in-law. We had success fishing deep in the Kennebec. We worked it hard. The bait was difficult and we hit many spots but these guys really perservered and it more than paid off in the end.

In the afternoon, I went out with the mellow uncle and his niece and niece's boyfriend. We also had success fishing in just 2' of water. For everybody aboard it was their first time catching a Striper and was also their personal biggest fish caught.Water temps were 68/69 degrees which is hot for Stripers. Generally, I would rule out catching bigger Stripers in water that hot but in the picture below you can see a fish caught in the exact same spot with that hot water. Who knows? The more time I spend doing this, the less I think I know. One thing I know is that you can't beat catching these fish in shallow water with light gear.

At the end of our second trip, I spotted the Ella and Sadie cruising back into the Townsend Gut. Colin Yentsch and his two daughters had spent the day on Powderhorn Island in the Sheepscot River. Powderhorn is the perfect place to escape the heat because of its beach, beauty, and location on the coldest river around. Anyway, Colin had promised me some Tuna so we pulled up to the Ella and Sadie. Colin, went into his hold where he had some Tuna iced up in his fish box. He hooked my clients and myself up with Tuna steaks. Good times. Below you can see Ella and Sadie next to a Tuna which Colin was able to sell on his boat named after the girls.

Yesterday, I took a much needed day off. The weather was hot and we spent a bunch of time on the water.

Today, Mike pictured below came with a long time repeat customer, Bob. Bob from Houston has been taking me out 2 or 3 times a year since my first year. For Mike, a freshwater fisherman, this was his biggest fish of his life and his first Striper. Mike caught his fish in deep water. Over the next few days with this hot weather I expect to spend more time at the beach and fishing deep, looking for that cooler water.

2 comments:

Manny Ramirez said...

Jesus, just how big was that fish with the kid? I'm in OBX right now. You know what they'd do with that size here right? Keep it and butcher the shit out of it.

Get a few tuna steaks right off of your friend's boat sound so great.

Mr. W said...

38". Have fun down there. Go fishing. Or did you mean the one behind Ella and Sadie? That one was 350lbs before cutting the head off and dressing it.