Monday, June 24, 2013

June 24

At about 9 last night the rain, which had been torrential, stopped.  The Dopplar Radar showed yellow and red storm activity moving to my south but it seemed like Boothbay was in the clear for several hours.  I jumped in the boat and headed to East Boothbay. I could see some silly National Geographic lighting strikes in the distance as I scanned the southern night sky.  The strikes lit my way as I rounded Spruce Point and turned north.

There, at the head of Linekin Bay, I met my friend Eli Farnham.  We headed out to his float and turned on my boat's deck lights.  Soon squid, both finger sized and larger, could be seen darting in and out of the light and around our jigs.  We spent about an hour and landed just 3 squid.

Today, was a beautiful sunny day with calm winds.   We caught Mackeral easily in several spots around Boothbay.   Recently, Dan Stevens(The Blackjack) confirmed the dismal Macking I was experiencing.   However, Dan too had good luck with the Macs today, filling his live well quickly. Don't get me wrong, all of my Striper trips that have used bait have had blackened live wells, its just that we have had to work at it.  This time of year I expect easy Macking and its not been so until today.  Yesterday, my friend and cohort George Harris reported two bluefish bite offs and this is always a good reason for scattered Macs.

A week from today, the Kennebec Watershed will end its special regulations.  I hate to wish time away but I am really excited to bring bait into the river. Tomorrow, George Harris and I are going to meet at 4am to scout the river.  I am sure this will include jigging some deep spots in anticipation of next week.

The fishing on the beach this past week has been real good.  I am including a pic of Larry who I took out this past Saturday.  Larry caught this beauty on the beach with a piece of a Mackeral.

No comments: