Wednesday, June 11, 2014

June 10

             The saltwater fishing, in the Kennebec/Boothbay Regions, has not changed much since my last report.  There are Striped Bass in the River in places with warmer water.  Most of the fish are smaller with just a few larger fish mixed in.  Several days ago we hooked up using soft plastics and a spook rig.  As you may know, the Kennebec is under special restrictions until July 1.  These special restrictions include no bait, one treble hook per lure, and no fish is allowed to be kept.
              Water temperatures are still very chilly.  In the morning, before the sun had a chance to do its thang, I recorded water temps in the upper 40s over the weekend.  I guess I should not be surprised.  Boothbay Harbor actually froze over this winter.  
              As a result, at the time of writing this, there are still no Mackeral in Boothbay Harbor.  I am sure they will come but their late arrival is driving some of us nuts. I want them to arrive so I can fill my freezer and bait my lobster traps.  
             My last day of school is next Monday so after that the fishing will take over my life.  I love my school job but I am looking forward to the different challenges presented by guiding.

No comments: