Sunday, May 16, 2010

The season is definitely getting closer

I just got back from an early morning cruise. At 4:30 am Boothbay Harbor was a quiet place. Smooth glassy water interrupted only by swirls, seals, birds, and me. There are tons of Jellyfish out there right now but they will be gone when the macs come in. I am hoping that Mackeral will arrive this year by Memorial weekend. We have good weather coming up and everything seems two weeks ahead of last year.

Early Macs means early traps so I will be getting the lobster gear together in the coming weeks too. I noticed this morning that there was quite a bit more lobster gear in the water now tight to shore so those guys must be thinking the same thing as I.

The other question on my mind is, when do I go over to the Kennebec River and give it a try for Stripers? There are basically a couple things that will influence when my first scouting mission will be. First, my calander is pretty crazy. Until a project at school comes to its conclusion on May 26th, I don't really have prayer of going. Also, my wife is going to a wedding in Cartagena, Columbia from May 28 to June 4. My mom is coming to help so there is a small chance of fishing then. My last day of school is June 15 so after that fishing will become my job. The second main factor that determines when my first trip is are the reports I hear. Some guides, like Peter Fallon and Gordon Gillies of Gillies and Fallon guide service, live on the Kennebec and they can scout the river as easy as I can cover Boothbay Harbor. People like that are terrific sources.

Gayle took the shot below last evening. She and I went to Five Islands for dinner while the kids were at the grandparents. We took the boat which meant a chilly but calm ride around Cape Newagen. If you have never had the pleasure of going to five islands by boat you should make an effort to give it a try. The place was empty which is unusual. Its one of the prettiest places around and it has a great Maine feel to it. Gayle had a fried haddock sandwich with Cilantro mayo and I had fried shrimp and we were both happy.

No comments: