Sunday, April 19, 2009

Strange Tide

On October 28th, 2008, the Boothbay Region experienced a strange tidal surge. The event was reported by national news outlets and many friends of mine from away called to hear if I had seen the strange wave or knew why it occurred. The Boston Globe explained that unusual tidal surges had happened before but were extremely rare. However the Globe's explanation, weather related, seems highly improbable to me. Some believe there may have been an underwater landslide, but this explanation seems to be in question too.

After researching the event a month ago, I came across the Boothbay Register's online link to their reporting. I found that one of my students, Alec Dodge, had actually filmed the action. I spoke with Alec and he admitted that he had only shown the video to his immediate family. Actually, the Weather Channel called our school looking for Alec and he lost their number.

Since then I have seen the video and I must say that its the most important video ever shot in Boothbay Harbor. You have to see it to believe it. Alec shot the video from Mill Cove, an area where the tide barely moves. Yet, one can see the tide moving like a rapid around the wrecks pictured in this google earth shot below.

Alec and another student of mine are now editing the video. He has made no decision about what he will do with the priceless footage. If Alec makes the video public I will surely share it here.


View Larger Map

No comments: