Friday, July 19, 2013

July 19

It's 3:20 am.  Outside, the air is still but every so often there are some heat flashes.  You know what I mean?  Kind of like lightning.

I am awake partly because the wonderful dinner my mom bought me last night does not agree with me.  But also, I am awake in search of easy Macking.  Yesterday, I had aboard some repeat clients.  They persevered with me through a two hour Mackerel Marathon.  What happened?  Why did it take so long to catch Mackerel?  Two Bluefish were caught near the Coast Guard Station in West Harbor and so the local theory goes that the Blues scattered the Macs. I believe it. This basically happened just about over night. The day before we crushed the Mackerel in 15 minutes.

Anyway, once stocked with live ones we headed across the Sheepsquat and into the Kennebec River.  I knew the spot I wanted to fish.  George Harris of Superfly Charters clued me in the day before during a two boat trip.  We had great success having fish interest on just about every drift and catching 6 fish with 4 in the cooler in a short time.

This brief fishing story is a good indication of how its going right now.  Stuff is happening.  I have been fishing mostly on the beach.  The seas have been calm and the bite regular out there.  I have also fished the lower end of the Kennebec with success as well.  We seem to have many fish from 33" and down.  We have caught larger but they are more sporadic.

I anticipate more Bluefish information in the next post.  My friend George said he had one shred a Sabiki rig but that's all I got.

The fishing is good right now.  I'm serious. Stuff is happening.


No comments: