Sunday, June 27, 2010

bait

On Thursday, Striper fishing in the Kennebec and Sheepscot rivers will truly open. Bait restrictions are lifted and anglers may keep one fish a day either 20" to 26" or over 40".

Tonight, I ventured out to assess the bait situation in the harbor. It was a very fishy calm evening. Light wind made it easy to see fish on the surface. Several times diving Osprey gave away the bait's position too. I found Mackeral but it seems quite obvious that the abundance of Macs we had a few weeks ago is, for the moment, a memory. However, this could turn around any day and I was able to catch Mackeral, it just wasn't the free for all you like to have.

There were herring availible for me as bait tonight as well. My fishfinder picks them up perfectly and I just drifted into them in the middle of the harbor. They were smaller herring then the ones I caught earlier this year. These baits are absolutely ideal.

No comments: