Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A More Detailed Update on My Wife's Condition


Gayle's surgery was a success. Dr. Sisti was able to remove the vast majority of the tumor. At the same time, he preserved the facial nerve, and partially saved some of the Cochlear nerve.

As a result, Gayle will be free of the numbness and facial weakness she has been experiencing for months and the tumor will never threaten Gayle's life again. The size of the tumor left behind will not need surgery and if it did grow, which is unlikely, they could radiate it.

Preservation of the facial nerve means that, hopefully, the only long term effect Gayle will have is the loss of hearing on the affected side. But, because Sisti preserved some of the Cochlear nerve, Gayle will retain a little of her hearing and might benefit from improvement in hearing aid technology sometime in the future.

At 5:15 today, I was able to get in to visit Gayle. She was out of it, nauseous, in some pain, but expressive. It was quite an effort for her to open her eyes which she forced herself to do when she heard my voice. She looked at me and made me switch sides of her bed. In a silent somewhat pained way she asked me to talk. She reacted to my news of Tom and Bess and Ralph hanging all day with a partial smile. Then, I tried to tell her about all the people calling,texting,and writing on Facebook and she definitely smiled again. Big relief.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness all will be well! You all have been in our thoughts and prayers today and we will continue to pray for a speedy recovery! Hugs and kisses to Iz and Evan! Squeeze Gail"s hand for us! Take care of yourself Dan! Lots of love from Debra, Richard, Danica, Rhiannon and Bronwen♡♡♡♡♡

Anonymous said...

All our prayers are answered today. I am so happy she is O.k. Thank God for this gift. Everyday I pray she gets better and better until she is home again. Love, Eileen H.

Mr. W said...

Thanks you guys. I can not tell you how nice it is to have all these electronic well wishes. They really help. Hope you guys can get some relaxation and fun over vacation.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear this news. Please let your Mom know I am available next week when we get back to work. I can take Iz if she should need and we will all be sending a variety of foods to help her get through and you upon return home.
Love and prayers are with you all.
Liz Reed

Anonymous said...

Dan and Gail,

We are relieved that all has gone well. Our thoughts have been with you and your extended family all week. Take care of each other and know that many are thinking of you. Shawn and Molly

Anonymous said...

Dan and Gayle, You have been in the thoughts of many people at Mahoney. I am glad to hear of the success of your operation, Gayle. I know that with all the love and support that you and Dan have from so many places, you will continue on your path to good health. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Karen Brown

Mrs. Burns said...

I am so happy that the surgery is over for Gayle...and for you. It sounds like all went well. You have both been just parked in my brain and my heart for days! Be gentle with yourselves during the recovery.